Yes this is a backwards process - you interview AND then you apply! But there is a method to the madness.
GENERAL DEADLINES AND APPLICATION DEADLINES for ASHP PPS
When applying be sure also to keep deadlines in mind. Each program is different in terms of deadlines, but you can expect them to all be due by end of December/early January. A good rule of thumb is that your application needs to be ready to sent out as early as mid-December (as soon as you get back from Midyear) for all programs. This is a very quick process, and companies are rushing to close-in their final candidates (most of the time; some programs only select in February).
The best practice for completing pharmacy fellowship applications is to prepare well in advance of attending Midyear PPS. You will be able to submit your application to the appropriate fellowship programs upon returning in December.
ASHP PPS Summary (please review each section in detail for the best preparation)
1) Around September you should be making all necessary adjustments to your Curriculum Vitae in preparation for ASHP PPS.
2) Sign up to participate in ASHP Midyear Clinical Meetings and PPS. In October distribute your Curriculum Vitae through ASHP PPS job portal and look over the content/description of your programs of interest.
3) Make sure you start scheduling interviews as soon as it is possible via PPS in the end of October (for non-Rutgers programs; click here for an overview of Rutgers)
4) Ask 3 different references EARLY, to commit to writing your Letters of Recommendation (typically due mid-December)
5) Have the questions you want to ask for each course ready and send in applications as soon as possible.
6) Now in December, participate in Midyear PPS.
7) Obtain your College Transcripts (if required for your program).
8) In late December/early January arrange on-site interviews and get ready for them.
9) In January/February after interviews are over send thank you letters In addition, this will be the time acceptance letters are received.
10) July - Start your fellowship!